Mali Club UK

First Aid

First Aid for dogs

The Veterinary Surgeons Act 1966 states that any Lay person may give first aid to an injured animal in an emergency. As soon as a vet’ arrives or the animal is taken to the vet’s surgery the Vet will take over the responsibility.

The Layperson may continue to assist or treat the animal but only under the direction of the Vet.

We can divide first aid into three sections:

Emergency first aid where the dogs life can be in danger short or long term this requires immediate attention and contacting the Vet straight away for help, An example could be a traffic accident.

Intermediate first aid emergency, which requires immediate attention and the Vets help but is not life threatening like a fractured limb, a large wound.


Standard first aid where you can help to alleviate the pain and seek Veterinary advice as to whether a trip to the vets is needed. For instance a Minor wound.

What to do in event of an accident:

Check for any further danger—(If road accident ensure it is safe to approach and help the dog) Use a blanket to move the dog.

Check the dog’s condition is it breathing, bleeding.

Keep the airway clear

Stop any bleeding –apply dressing (or similar)

Keep dog warm and dry and talk in soothing tones to help stop shock.

Keep calm –this will help to keep dog calm.

Contact (nearest ) Vet (if required)

For Burns clean the substance from the dog and immerse affected parts in water.


It is recommended to always carry a first aid kit for dogs in the vehicle and at home. This should consist of:

Sterile dressings
Self sticking bandages
Round ended scissors
Lemon Juice-(for wasp/bee stings in mouth)
Antiseptic cream
Cloth muzzle
Wound spray
Thermometer


The normal temperature of a dog is 100 to 101’F(38.3-38.7’C) depending on size and breed of dog.

Pulse rate of dogs normally 60—180 beats per minute

Breathing Normal range for the dog is 10-30 breaths per minute

Some plants dangerous to you pet if eaten:
FOXGLOVE
PRIMROSE
YEW
IVY
WYSTERIA
LUPIN
POPPY
CLEMATIS ARMANDII
NIGHTSHADES
LABURNUM

Many common garden products can be poisonous and even fatal to dogs one of which is slug pellets. I spoke recently to someone who very nearly lost their dog due to it swallowing some and becoming very ill quickly it subsequently spent several nights at the vets, going in on a bank holiday Monday! After several days it recovered enough to go home where it went on to make a full recovery.

Pictures

Click on any of the images to enlarge

Mali Club Logo

You are viewing the text version of this site.

To view the full version please install the Adobe Flash Player and ensure your web browser has JavaScript enabled.

Need help? check the requirements page.


Get Flash Player